1: Comedy Writing at The Onion with Scott Dikkers
Scott Dikkers is one of the Founders of The Onion and was my teacher at Second City for the Writing With The Onion classes. He joins The Rob Cressy show to share comedy writing tips and principals for aspiring writers and creators. It goes without saying the plethora of comedy writing knowledge Scott has is out of this world, so we try and pack as much as we can into this episode.
On this podcast Scott Dikkers and I talk about:
- The importance of writing Morning Pages and writing frequently.
- Unleashing your inner clown.
- In comedy writing a core principal is quantity = quality. Finding the 5% of your writing that is funny.
- Funny filters for writing jokes.
- You can connect with Scott Dikkers on his website and Twitter @ScottDikkers
- Check out Scott’s most recent book Trump’s America: The Complete Loser’s Guide
- I want to hear from you. Did you like this podcast? Is there something that I can improve on? Did this podcast cause you to take action in some way? Hit me up at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @RobCressy and let me know
SUBSCRIBE TO THE ROB CRESSY SHOW PODCAST!
1. Learning at Second City and the Power of YES AND – One of the comedic fundamentals and building blocks for improv. The power of YES AND has a way of completely transforming your outlook on comedy and life.
2. 11 Funny Filters to Write Jokes – Every joke created uses at least one of these 11 funny filters. When writing comedy use these funny filters and you’ll quickly see improvement in your jokes. These come straight from my Writing for The Onion class and Scott Dikkers.
3. 21 Comedy Writing Tips – These comedy principals are building blocks for the rest of your comedy writing and no doubt will help increase the quality of your jokes and writing. These also come straight from my Writing for The Onion class and Scott Dikkers.
4. Follow Rob Cressy on Snapchat – If you are on Snapchat then you need to be following me faster than Seabass can throw one down.
5. Monday Morning Newsletter – Get rid of your case of the Monday’s with Rob Cressy’s weekly Monday Morning newsletter. It’ll give some extra motivation and inspiration to those who strive to do great things.